There are some days when we get tired of spending all day away from home, and we don’t want to spend a lot of time cooking but we want to enjoy a good homemade meal.
For these types of days, the recipe for Crispy Pork with Salted Fish and Cabbage in an electric hotpot comes to the rescue just in time.
You just have to prepare a few ingredients, put everything in the electric hotpot, press a button, and let the machine do all the magic.
In this article, we will show you everything you need to know about this dish, from the step-by-step recipe to the nutritional value, and all the changes you can make so that the dish adapts to your tastes.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 large cabbage (chopped)
- 3/4 lb salted pork (diced)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (smashed)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 scotch bonnet pepper (sliced thin)
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1/4 bell pepper (diced)
- 12oz salted codfish, boneless and skinless
- Grab the electric hotpot, add the olive oil followed by the cubed salted pork and the saltfish, and put it at medium heat. Stir every 2 minutes so it doesn’t burn.
- After 5 minutes go by, (it should have more color), add the onion, thyme, garlic, and Scotch Bonnet pepper.
- Make sure that you remove every seed from the pepper, because it’s not good for eating.
- Then, once that 3-4 Minutes passed add the black pepper and the washed and chopped cabbage. Let it cook for 4 minutes, all the time with the lead of the hotpot on.
- Now add the diced bell pepper and stir. Cook for 2 more minutes. Taste everything in case it needs more seasoning.
- Serve warm.
How to adjust the ingredients of the Crispy Pork with Salted Fish and Cabbage with an Electric Hot Pot
There are hundreds of changes you can make to this recipe so that it can be adapted to your personal tastes or diet.
You can change the pork for another type of meat, make it all fish or all pork.
You can even substitute a vegetarian substitute, such as tofu, lentils, or chickpeas to make it a filling dish.
You can also add more vegetables, or completely remove those you don’t like, take advantage of this recipe to play with the ingredients and try new things.
You can also replace the Scotch pepper with bell peppers of different colors, or chili pepper if you are a spicy lover.
Is there a way to add more flavor to the Crispy Pork with Salted Fish and Cabbage with an Electric Hot Pot
This recipe is full of flavor, the three main ingredients (which are cabbage, pork, and fish) give a lot of flavor to the dish so that is not something you should worry about.
However, you can add other seasonings like saffron, turmeric, five spices, more black pepper, anything.
You can also play around with the peppers and use hotter peppers if you’re looking to fill everything up with super-spicy flavor.
If you want something more bittersweet, a couple of tablespoons of honey are the perfect remedy to add sweetness to any dish made in an electric hotpot.
The Crispy Pork with Salted Fish and Cabbage can be served at any time of the day, in fact in some Asian countries it is eaten for breakfast.
If it seems too much to eat such a filling dish for breakfast, you can do it for lunch, dinner, or as an afternoon snack.
You can also serve it with other meals, for example, with noodles or rice it is a great option to make it a complete meal.
You can also eat it with other vegetables, such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, or any salad that you like.
To store this dish you can do it in two main ways: freeze it or freeze it.
Although both ways are effective, there is one that may be better for you than the other, so it is important that you choose according to what suits you.
If you need to store it for a shorter amount of time, then the best thing to do is store it in the fridge.
There it can last up to 3 days, and you should only heat it in the microwave or in the pot when you are ready to eat it.
If you need to store it for a long time, you can freeze it, since in the freezer it will last up to 30 days.
In that case, to defrost it you must leave it the night or the day before eating it in the refrigerator.
It is very important that in no case leave it for more than an hour out the refrigerator, since otherwise it will generate bad bacteria and you will not be able to eat it.
- In case you don’t have a hotpot, you can use a common pot and put it on medium heat or something on your stove. It should take from 40 minutes to 60 minutes to cook.
- You can use any type of meat and vegetables you want. You can learn more about this in the ingredients adjustments section.
- The indicated portion is a small bowl, but you can eat as much as you want.
- You can add one cup of vegetable or beef broth to add more flavor. However, you should cook it for a longer amount of time so it boils and evaporates. If you don’t do that, then you would have a liquid sauce.